Treatment of various diseases using surgical methods. Surgery deals with the treatment of almost all organs of the human body, which has led to the emergence of sub-disciplines within surgery – ophthalmic surgery, ENT surgery, cardiac surgery, urological surgery, gynecological surgery, and so on. In practically every branch of medicine, there exists a surgical specialisation.
Symptoms and main conditions
The symptoms of surgical diseases are extensive and diverse, so it is easier to remember in which cases it is necessary to consult a surgeon – in cases of severe trauma and bleeding, persistent acute pain, especially in the abdomen, extensive wounds, infections, acute limb pain, and so on.
The main surgical diseases cannot be encompassed in a single paragraph as they are numerous – ranging from burns and frostbite to tumors of various locations, hernias, gallstones, hemorrhoids, and many others
What does a surgeon do:
- Consults the patient, conducts a clinical examination
- Prescribes additional investigations (laboratory tests, ultrasound, CT scan, MRI, etc.)
- Interprets the results of the investigations
- Proposes an optimal treatment strategy
- Administers treatment, including surgical interventions
- Monitors the patient after the operation